Stock Market Project

Hello viewers,

We were assigned a new project in language arts related to the book: the Westing Game (by Ellen Raskin).

(The cover of the book).

This project is connected to the book because one of the characters in it is named Turtle Wexler and she is a daredevil who is interested in money and the stock market.  One of the main characters in the Westing Game.

One of the teachers at Durham Academy helped us create our spreadsheet with the formulas needed.

For this project, we got $20,000 fake dollars to invest in any stocks we wanted.

These were the rules:
1. You can only buy US stocks.

2. You can buy a maximum of 6 stocks

3. You can buy a minimum of 3 stocks

I got 5 stocks:

1. Visa stock (credit card company). A share costed about $230 (on the day I purchased it).

2. eBay stock (online shopping company). A share costed about $45.

3. Crocs stock (footwear company). A share costed about $145.

4. General Electric stock (electricity, e.g. microwaves). A share costed about $97.

5. General Motors stock (motors, e.g. car motors). A share costed about $35.

Companies sell parts of itself to people. A part/ fraction of a stock is called a share. Below I will list the amounts of shares I purchased for each stock I bought.

1. Visa stock: 30 shares.

2. eBay stock: 54 shares.

3. Crocs stock: 40 shares.

4. General Electric stock: 30 shares.

5. General Motors stock: 54 shares.

I chose my stocks by looking at how well they were doing (e.g. today, five days, 1 week, one month, 6 months, one year, 5 years, max). Max means when the company became a stock on the market. If stocks were doing poorly, in more than the five days and today section, I decided not to buy them.

(An example, the Netflix stock).

Currently, my stocks are doing pretty well. Ever since the Crocs stock dropped $30 in one day (which happened a few weeks ago), I have been around $-1,300. I think that in the long run, all of them are going to go up.

The logo for my investment company: Dragon and Benjamin investments.